09 elokuuta 2019

Ateneum - Silent Beauty


Kyllikki Salmenhaara, vase 1959


Silent Beauty Exhibition at Ateneum was a wonderful, immersive experience. The works were skillfully grouped in different halls and the combination of paintings, kimonos and ceramics had been carefully considered. After seeing the ceramics on display at the exhibition, I have a better understanding of what Minna Eväsoja and Beth Kempton said about wabi-sabi. It is true that 20th century Nordic and East Asian artists had many common sources of inspiration. I'm currently reading a Japanese book Shinrin-Yoku, The Art and Science of Forest Bathing by Qing Li - thank you for the tip Diane! I have not previously realised that in Japan there are so many forests and they are 'forest people' as we Finns. Nordic art is characterized by its silent contemplation and connection to nature. The same can be found in Japanese art. Beautiful and enchanting exhibition, well worth a visit.



The artists featured in the exhibition include Heidi Blomstedt, Shoji Hamada, Erkki Heikkilä, Rune Jansson, Aimo Kanerva, Carl Kylberg, Maija and Ahti Lavonen, Bernard Leach, Ufan Lee, Ulla Rantanen, Kyllikki Salmenhaara, Key Sato, Helene Schjerfbeck, Jaakko Sievänen, Per Stenius, Zao Wou-Ki and Samiro Yunoki. 

"Nordic and East Asian art share the idea of everyday beauty and a connection with nature. The exhibition juxtaposes visual art, ceramics, textile art and architecture by Finnish, Swedish, Japanese, Korean and Chinese artists." - Ateneum



Yoshitaka Yanagi, kimono 1977



This is a treasure that I have not seen photographed anywhere!
Helene Schjerfbeck, Trees in Wind 1918, private collection
❤︎



Bowl, Takea-Karatsu -ceramics, late 1700 - 1900



Haori, 1800s



Kimmo Kaivanto



 Zao Wou-Ki, Painting 1959



Shōji Hamada, Bowl 1956



Anitra Lucander, Stilleben 1954





Einar Ilmoni, Island 1910-1911



Key Sato, Birth of Stones 1958



Red art grouped in one hall. The text on the wall told the Japanese see
almost 10 different shades of red. Red symbolizes courage, joy, energy and blessings,
but also madness, stress and danger. In many cultures the sun is described as yellow,
but in Japan and Korea it is depicted in red.






I do not have information of all art works, it is worth visiting for yourself
and exploring this charming exhibition - if you happen to come to Helsinki.
Beautiful presentation and great works soothe the mind.



// WILLY-NILLY  
// LITTLE THINGS THURSDAY
// ALL SEASONS 
// MOSAIC MONDAY
// IMAGE-IN-ING

17 kommenttia:

  1. It must be really interesting - thanks for sharing the idea.
    All the works you shot go straight to the essential...
    Wishing you a happy sunny weekend!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. This is really worth of experiencing, open til 6 October!

      Poista
  2. ...Riitta, what a wonderful exhibition, I would have love to have seen it in person. Thanks for taking me along. You did a fabulous job capturing all of this beauty, thank you very much. .

    VastaaPoista
  3. There is so much beauty in our world.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Sandi, this was really soothing for the soul.

      Poista
  4. I like the vases, bowls, and other pottery pieces best.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    VastaaPoista
  5. Dearest Riitta; OMG, What a Fantastic exhibition ”Silent Beauty”is. I really wish I could be be with you. Amazing to know that Nordic and East Asian artists had many common sources of inspiration♬ And Thank you very much for introducing Japanese "wabi sabi". It sure is mind soothing to think that you don't have to be always "perfect". How exciting to know the word ephemerality!!! I LOVE that notion.
    Among the fantastic works,I was SO fascinated by the color "red". If you let me add one more; we use the red to describe the face when people get so angry. Maybe,I didn't have to write.... p-;) I remember I wondered why we should say "red sun" when young.
    I enjoyed and learned a lot from this post; Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you my dear Miyako <3
      You were in my mind when I went to see this exhibition. Minna Eväsoja is a Finnish lady who has studied in Japan, Kiyoto and written many books about your culture. She speaks about wabi-sabi and mono no aware, too. It seems that the Japanese and we Finns have a lot in common. You are enthusiastic about the nature, forests and wood as a material (the walls in your home!) - the same with us. This exhibition was really excellent!

      Poista
  6. Bonita exposición. Un beso.

    VastaaPoista
  7. I love the kimono's. thanks for visiting Cath@Home and leaving me a comment.

    VastaaPoista
  8. What a beautiful exhibit. I love the ceramics and kimonos. Beautiful artwork! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead.

    VastaaPoista
  9. I am still waiting for a book about wabi sabi from my library. But I'm anxious to read it. I guess there is nothing new under the sun but I'm always learning! Thanks for mentioning me today! Makes me feel special! Hugs!

    VastaaPoista
  10. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing

    Much❤🕊❤love

    VastaaPoista
  11. Riitta - as one who tries to embrace imperfection, I am encouraged to know about wabi-sabi. I am drawn to the ceramics and the kimonos. Lovely. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    VastaaPoista
  12. Wow, you saw an awesome exhibition. Thanks for sharing photos of it, I doubt I'll ever get to see it in person.

    VastaaPoista

Thank you for your comment ♥ All comments containing an advertising link shall be removed.

Kommentoimalla HYVÄKSYT, että Google kerää sinusta määrättyjä tietoja. Mitä ne ovat, löytyy sivulta Yksityisyydensuoja sekä Googlen sivulta.